Getting Around Vieques Island
Whether your destination is out on the town or out of the way beaches, our Cars, Jeeps and SUVs will take you everywhere you want to go – in style!
VIEQUES RULES OF THE ROAD
- Always wear your seatbelt – it’s the law
- Speed limit is 35mph on the main roads
- Speed limit is 10-15mph on town and beach roads
- NO ESTACIONE means NO PARKING
- Yellow and blue curbs are NO PARKING ZONES
- Always stop at every intersection, many do not have signs
- If you are involved in an accident, call the police (787) 741-2020, get a report, and then notify us
Please, do not drink and drive
- Drive defensively – watch for pedestrians and animals in the road
- Do not run out of gas – our Jeeps are delivered with a full tank of premium gas, you should refill at 1/2 tank because not all guages are accurate and the stations sometimes run out of gas.There is a charge for vehicles returned with less than a full tank.
- No smoking, drinking, or eating in the Jeep
- Do not sit in the Jeep with wet clothing
- Stay on regularly maintained roads – even a 4×4 can get stuck!
- DO NOT drive on beaches
- Some puddles are sink holes
- Report mechanical problems or funny noises right away.
- Flat tires happen. Each Jeep has a full-sized spare, jack and fix-a-flat. Road service is available for a fee
- Do not put kayaks or bicycles in or on the Jeep
- Please don’t lose your key. Hiding it in the sand or swimming with it is not a good idea. There is a charge for lost keys and lockouts.
- DO NOT LOCK YOUR CAR AT THE BEACH – leave a window open, and do not leave valuables in the car or unattended at the beach
- DO LOCK YOUR CAR – in town, at restaurants, at your lodging
- Respect the locals. Ask us if we speak English first. Most of us do and will if you are polite.
- Never throw trash in the water and avoid bringing glass to the beach
- Respect the environment, DO NOT LITTER
About Renting a Car in Vieques
- Damage to the vehicle is the responsibility of the renter regardless of fault just like if it is your own car. Some credit cards offer renters insurance as one of the benefits. However, the deductible is $1000 just as with the insurance you buy from Hertz or Avis.
- When you check in, your card will be swiped and an authorization for the rental will be obtained. When you return the car, your card will be charged
- Do not use a debit card to hold your reservation. If you do, the amount authorized will be deducted from your bank account immediately, potentially leaving you without money on your trip.
- Protect your key fob! If lost, the car must be taken to the main island so the fees to you are large.
- There is no AAA on Vieques. We will do our best to provide roadside assistance in the event of trouble.
- Not paying a ticket will catch up with you. We still have your card information and will charge as allowed by the contract you signed.
- Most cars are priced according to their age. Meaning, when you call and ask for the cheapest car we have, it will be older and certainly look older. We work hard to keep them reliable but older cars are more prone to problems. So if you are worried about running into your neighbor while driving an older car or concerned about minor mechanical problems, rent a newer or new vehicle.